Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roxb), which in English is known as ginger. Ginger plant grows to the height that can reach one meter. Has a pseudo stem, not branched, globular, upright, and composed of sheets of leaf midrib. Base of the stem is green with reddish stems. The flowers tubular, protected by the leaf as a protector. Ginger rhizome branching and irregular. Rhizome scaly skin and arranged in a circle, brownish yellow. Flesh is yellow rhizome, fibrous, and contain the smell.
Based on the size, shape and color of rhizome, ginger is divided into three types, namely large white or yellow ginger (ginger rhinoceros), a small white ginger (CVD), and red ginger. Plant part used is the rhizome. Since the rhizomes are chemical compounds that contain a spicy flavor (gingerol, zingeron, and shogaol) and hence the body feels warm after drinking the water decoction of ginger.
Apart from use as food flavoring and aroma of the drinks, Ginger is also efficacious to overcome various diseases such as cough, fever, asthma, colds, aches, rheumatism.
Simple concoction of ginger to overcome coughing, fever, asthma, colds, and aches: Peel, wash, and dried ginger keprak, give sugar to taste, cooked with water, and then filter. Drink it while still warm. Strongly encouraged to continue to consume these herbs one hour before meals, 1 day 2 times.Since the first ginger is used as a medicine or herbs and various other purposes. Ginger also stimulates the digestive glands, both to arouse appetite and digestion.
Modern research has proved scientifically the efficacy of ginger, among others:
* Lowers blood pressure, because ginger stimulates the release of the hormone adrenaline and widens blood vessels, resulting in blood flow more quickly and smoothly and the heart to pump blood mitigatory work.
* Helps digestion, because ginger is a digestive enzyme containing protease and lipase, which digests each protein and fat.
* Prevents blood clotting, which means preventing the leading cause of strokes and heart attacks. Also help lower cholesterol levels.
* Prevent nausea.
* Make the stomach to be comfortable, relieve stomach cramps and help out the wind.
* Contains antioxidants that help counteract the damaging effects caused by free radicals in body.
* Natural painkillers and can relieve the pain of rheumatism, headaches, and migraine.
* Leaves efficacious with ground ginger and given little water, used as a compress on headache medicine and can be sprinkled into the faces of people who are shivering.
* To treat wounds because of blisters, stabbed with sharp objects, exposed to thorns, fall and snake bites.
* To prevent motion sickness.